The definition states that drilling is a process in which a solid material is cut in a circular cross-section to obtain a hole. To do this one requires a drill machine which is a rotatory cutting tool. Here machines are pressed against the solid material which is supposed to be drilled and then hundred to thousands of revolutions are made and edges are cut and holes are made.
How drilling is useful in scientific purposes
Drilling has characteristics of sharp edges at one side and burrs on the others. It is important to evaluate to use which drills in which process. There can be different processes:
- Spot drilling:
- Center drilling
- Deep hole drilling
- Gun drilling
- Micro drilling
- Vibration drilling
- Circle interpolating
Effects of Drilling on Environment
In addition to the economic benefits earned through drilling, there are also environmental benefits of it. It has a long-term impact on the environment as offshore drilling in coastal areas like oil seepage is responsible for oil pollutants in the ocean which in turn pushes methane gas in the atmosphere due to which oil slick is created on the surface of water thus putting aquatic life in danger. However, oil drilling helps in reducing the pressure caused by oil reservoirs underground and in turn lowers the hydrocarbon seepage process and methane gas mixing in the atmosphere. This creates a positive impact on aquatic life as well as the environment.
Five things to know before buying the drill machine
Before buying a drill, a person needs to know about drilling machines they are going to buy. Several features of machines include:
- Chuck size: chuck size matters if drilling involves wooden work.
- Battery voltage: there are a variety of voltages of drills in the aisle. The range is from 7.2 volts to 36 volts.
- Led guide light: having led light in a drill is not trap for increasing prices. It is helpful when drilling is done in dark corners to hit goals precisely.
- Spare battery: there should always be a backup plan in case of failure. The spare battery does the same job when the original battery gets discharged.
- Spade bits and hole saws: they are worth cost as they are useful in drilling big holes.
Drilling often involves other processes like counterboring, countersinking, boring, friction drilling, reaming, laser drilling and drilling rig. Also, it has national importance as it is helpful in the extraction of oils and gases, scientific studies of Earth’s subsurface and under excavation.